Conservation Tech Award
Accelerating Innovation and Development
AI2 seeks to provide two (2) grants, each in the amount of $15,000 USD, to organizations that are deploying or developing technology to make a positive impact in conservation management, including but not limited to, the security of endangered animals, animal behavioral research, anti-poaching enforcement, ecological management, and human-wildlife coexistence:
- Technology Adopter Grant: this grant is for an organization that is adopting technology in new or novel ways for conservation management.
- Technology Practitioner Grant: this grant is for an organization that is developing technology (e.g., software, applications, AI models/algorithms, hardware) to advance conservation management.
Both EarthRanger users and non-users are welcome to apply for either grant. There is no requirement or advantage for either grant based on an organization’s user status.
- Online applications must be fully completed by August 31, 2022 and include a point of contact on behalf of the organization.
- All applications will be vetted by AI2 for compliance with applicable laws and US government guidelines for international grantmaking.
- All applicants must follow AI2’s Business Partner Code of Conduct.
- Nonprofit and for-profit organizations and protected areas managed in whole or in part by a nonprofit or for-profit organization are eligible to apply.
- Applicants may only apply for one (1) grant by selecting either the Technology Adopter Grant or Technology Practitioner Grant in the online application form.
Organizations and protected areas.
No. We encourage both EarthRanger users and non-users to apply.
Select “Apply Now,” which leads to the grant application. The applications are comprised of 6 brief questions to collect basic information about your organization, 3-4 writing prompts (depending on the grant) to learn about your work in the conservation technology space, and a section to upload visual assets including images and an option to link to a video. We will only accept complete applications for consideration.
The use or combinations of any technology(ies) that encompasses software, hardware, networking, AI, and/or mobile applications in ways different than perhaps its original intention. This includes using the technology(ies) in a way that improves or enhances conservation operations or the way an organization works. For example, the use of machine learning to understand wildlife behavior or a data management system that scales across an organization.
We ask for quantitative metrics to help demonstrate the impact of your organization's use or development of technology for conservation, as applicable. For example, this could be the number of animals saved and area of restored habitat, potential threats mitigated, or new data and learnings identified using technology.
No, we can only accept one application per organization. Please select just one of the grants to apply for.
Any development of software, hardware, networking, AI models or algorithms, and/or mobile applications. For example, this could be the creation of a new acoustic monitoring tool or the development of an add-on or enhancement to an existing data-sharing platform that is making coordination easier.
By submitting this application, you authorize AI2 to refer to your organization’s name and use your submitted materials in any form or medium, including externally in our communications, website, and social media channels. If you have confidentiality concerns about the materials that will be submitted in the application, please email email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of leaders and representatives from well-known conservation organizations and institutions, including Google, Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), WildLabs, Harvard, CalTech, Mara Elephant Project, African Parks, Wildlife Protection Solutions, Andes Amazon Fund, and EarthRanger.
AI2 will work with the selected grantees to execute grant agreements and coordinate other documentation necessary for payments through the organization’s point of contact provided in the application.
The two final grantees will be officially announced in November 2022. The EarthRanger team will get in touch confidentially with applicants prior to the announcement.
All applications are due by August 31, 2022.